Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote) is the preeminent national nonpartisan nonprofit that promotes civic participation in Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities through engagement, education, and partnerships. Since 2007, APIAVote has fostered a culture of democratic participation within AAPI communities, resulting in the highest-ever voter turnout (60%) in the 2020 presidential elections and continued growth in the 2022 midterm elections.
APIAVote envisions a world that is inclusive, fair, and collaborative; one where Asian Americans and Pacific Islander communities are self-determined, empowered, and engaged. APIAVote operates under three distinct values:
- We believe in democracy and the democratic process.
- We believe in full civic participation and access for all Asians and Pacific Islander Americans.
- We believe that communities best represent themselves.
- You believe in community building and the value of civic engagement
- You like a collaborative work environment, but can also effectively work independently day-to-day
- You can plan and manage complex projects in a high-performance environment
- You are mission driven with a commitment to public service
Please email your resume, cover letter, and 2-3 references by June 23, 2023 and explain why you are a good fit for the position you are seeking to fill and other attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
APIAVote is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status. For more information on APIAVote, please go to www.APIAVote.org.
National Field Director
APIAVote is seeking an exceptional leader to fill its National Field Director role. The position is under the direction of the Deputy Director (with strategic guidance from the Executive Director), and is responsible for collaboratively developing, implementing, and managing local field plans, building and sustaining long term partnerships with local, state, and national organizations, training and building the capacity of leaders, volunteers, and partners. This is a full time exempt salaried position with a competitive compensation and benefits package.
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. (or remote). Those living in Washington, D.C. will be expected to abide by our hybrid attendance rules.
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 23, 2023 or until filled
SALARY: $80,000 – $100,000
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, the Deputy Director, and the Director of Policy & Advocacy (i.e. the Management Team) to provide high-level, strategic guidance and recommendations as to APIAVote’s approach to its field programs;
- Serve as the secondary spokesperson for APIAVote, after APIAVote’s Executive Director, specifically on issues pertaining to field or data;
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Youth Programs Manager to development a robust youth program that engages college-aged AAPI youth to recognize the importance of voting in every single election;
- Determine APIAVote and coalition-wide field strategy and goals for specific campaigns and election cycles;
- Manage APIAVote’s sub granting process, including the development of the overall subgrant strategy, and provide provide coaching and mentoring support to local and state partners in meeting their campaign goals;
- Manage overall field operations while tracking performance to goals. This includes developing APIAVote’s annual field plan, managing the setup of various tools and technology available for our partners’ use, providing technical assistance to our partners as necessary, and other partner support responsibilities;
- Implement and refine the curriculum for APIAVote’s regional training program. This includes modifying and adapting it to ensure it is culturally appropriate and it meets the specific needs of target regions;
- Develop and support the implementation of civic engagement, voter education, GOTV, and election protection programs by local and state partners;
- Train, mobilize, and manage volunteers;
- Mentor, build, and maintain relationships with APIAVote’s partners, coalitions, and volunteer leaders for electoral organizing activities in local communities;
- Collaborate with Strategic Communications on the implementation of APIAVote’s national translated voter education mail program;
- Access and manage voter files for various regions, including effective targeting, running reports, bulk uploading contact data, setting up API key integrations, and other data-related responsibilities;
- Upon request, and for various purposes, conduct data analysis or oversee the data analysis of voter file data, U.S. census data, and data from other sources; and
- Will supervise one (1) direct report at hire, but may supervise additional direct reports down the line.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in electoral work, community organizing, and/or issue advocacy. Experience managing programs in multiple states or regions is a plus, but not required;
- Demonstrated experience in drafting and implementing field and voter contact plans;
- Experience in using the VAN and managing and analyzing voter files;
- Experience in utilizing various voter engagement tools, such as for phone banking, texting, and canvassing;
- Ability and willingness to travel to conduct community outreach and organizing;
- Capacity to prioritize multiple and competing projects, manage complex workload, and meet deadlines;
- Strong facilitation and communication skills;
- Experience developing and editing high-quality written materials and presentations, including fact sheets, talking points, statements, etc.; and
- Capability to take initiative and to solve problems independently or collaboratively as a member of a team;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability and success in working in coalitions with diverse groups of people;
- High level of personal energy and commitment to working to build power for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders;
- Awareness and knowledge of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community and its issues;
- Committed to the mission and goals of APIAVote, and actively practices inclusion and understanding the diverse needs of the AAPI community.