Norman Y. Mineta Leadership Institute
The Norman Y. Mineta Leadership Institute was launched in October 2006 in honor of Secretary Mineta’s lifetime achievements in exemplifying and promoting civic participation and public service. The institute focuses on launching a series of weekend-long leadership trainings for nonprofit staff, community leaders and volunteers in various cities across the country to engage Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities in successful electoral campaigns.
The Norman Y. Mineta Institute trains participants on the foundations of non-partisan electoral campaigns, leadership skills needed to be a well rounded civic leader as well as provides participants with strategies specific to working with AAPI communities, fulfilling an unmet need in the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
Keep up-to-date on future trainings through our Events page.
To achieve this vision, the trainings will focus on three areas:
Provide a framework for civic engagement and political organizing
- To provide a political framework regarding the importance of electoral organizing for AAPI communities.
- To deepen our political analysis of AAPIvoters in our political system.
- To teach the rules and regulations for 501(c)3 organizations.
Provide participants with organizing tools to effectively build civic engagement programs
- To provide tools that fosters our communities’ knowledge of outreach in order to create and implement effective voter registration, education and mobilization programs.
- To teach how to incorporate civic participation into an organization’s existing programs and structure.
- To provide strong communications guidance.
To teach how to design and conduct evaluations and learn how to measure programs and its impact.
- To support and nurture the next generation of leaders and volunteers.
Increase and encourage regional partnerships
- To provide a forum to share successful organizing models and lessons learned from local partners.
- To develop a strategic plan focused on building capacity for the organizations to contribute to this joint effort.
NYMLI Houston (OCA Convention)
Event Date: Jun 29, 2019 Houston Marriott Westchase 2900 Briarpark Drive Houston, TX 77042 United States
Event Date: Jul 14, 2019 CWA Union Hall (Event Room) 1408 N Washington Ave Dallas, TX 75204
Event Date: Jul 13, 2019 NW Fellowship 13427 Pond Springs Rd Austin, TX 78729
NYMLI New York Training
Event Date: Jun 01, 2019 Teach of America 25 Broadway, 12th Floor New York City, NY United States
Event Date: Jun 18, 2019 Asian Counseling & Referral Service 3639 Martin Luther King Jr. Way S. Seattle, WA