Norman Y. Mineta Leadership Institute
The Norman Y. Mineta Leadership Institute was launched in October 2006 in honor of Secretary Mineta’s lifetime achievements in exemplifying and promoting civic participation and public service. The institute focuses on launching a series of weekend-long leadership trainings for nonprofit staff, community leaders and volunteers in various cities across the country to engage Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities in successful electoral campaigns.
The Norman Y. Mineta Institute trains participants on the foundations of non-partisan electoral campaigns, leadership skills needed to be a well rounded civic leader as well as provides participants with strategies specific to working with AAPI communities, fulfilling an unmet need in the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
Keep up-to-date on future trainings through our Events page.
To achieve this vision, the trainings will focus on three areas:
Provide a framework for civic engagement and political organizing
- To provide a political framework regarding the importance of electoral organizing for AAPI communities.
- To deepen our political analysis of AAPIvoters in our political system.
- To teach the rules and regulations for 501(c)3 organizations.
Provide participants with organizing tools to effectively build civic engagement programs
- To provide tools that fosters our communities’ knowledge of outreach in order to create and implement effective voter registration, education and mobilization programs.
- To teach how to incorporate civic participation into an organization’s existing programs and structure.
- To provide strong communications guidance.
To teach how to design and conduct evaluations and learn how to measure programs and its impact.
- To support and nurture the next generation of leaders and volunteers.
Increase and encourage regional partnerships
- To provide a forum to share successful organizing models and lessons learned from local partners.
- To develop a strategic plan focused on building capacity for the organizations to contribute to this joint effort.
Orange County, CA NYMLI Training
At the Norman Y. Mineta Leadership Institute, participants learn about effective voter mobilization strategies and national/regional voting trends, as well as engage in interactive workshops and local planning.
We Draw the Line: Intro to Redistricting Advocacy in Colorado and Utah
On Friday, August 27th at 4:00PM MST / 6:00PM EST, join APIAVote, NaFFAA Region 5, the Colorado Asian Culture and Education Network, OCA Asian Pacific Islander American Advocates Utah, the Japanese American Citizens League, and the National Tongan American Society as we facilitate a crash course on redistricting advocacy in Colorado and Utah.
We Draw the Line: Intro to Redistricting Advocacy in Arizona
This July 24th at 3:00 PM EST, join APIAVote and AZ AANHPI for Equity as we facilitate a crash course on redistricting advocacy in Arizona.
We Draw the Line: Intro to Redistricting Advocacy in Washington
Join APIAVote, Asian Community Referral Service (ACRS), Redistricting Justice for Washington (RJW), and the Latino Community Fund as we facilitate a crash course on redistricting advocacy in Washington.
We Draw the Line: Effective Redistricting Advocacy in Texas
On July 12 at 7:00 PM EST, join APIAVote as we lead participants through effective messages, testimony, and advocacy strategies for redistricting in Texas.
2020 Norman Y. Mineta Leadership Institute Trainings
Let’s Get Out The Vote: Voter Registration Training (NVRD) – Thurs 9/3, 3 PM ET Watch webinar : https://youtu.be/HbRRck4oVk0 Get ready to kick off preparations